Tuesday, March 6, 2018

What Is To Be Done? No 24: Another ‘’ Race Relation /Refugee Day Celebration’’




   
              ‘’There is a story behind every person. There is a reason why they are
                     The way they are. Think about that respect them for who they are’’
                                                                                                                                                  Marcandangel
                 ‘’Staying quiet doesn’t mean I have nothing to say. It means I don’t think you are
                ready to hear my thoughts.’’
                                                                                   Ernest Hemingway
                    ‘’Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.’’
                                                                                                                           Victor Hugo

                                     


Since 2001, New Zealand has been ‘’Celebrating World Refugee Day’’ and probably since the year 2010, Race Relations day. I remember on 20 June 2001 reading a poem and speaking at the New Zealand Parliament. That was the last day I was allowed to give an organized speech. The speech has exposed the reason behind the ‘’ Refugee Day’’. When I mention that it used to be called ‘’World Refugee Day’’, it used to be called ‘’African Refugee Day’’. Since the 1990s, and in 1995, African Refugees in Africa refugee camps protested the idea of ‘’celebrating ‘’ Refugee day. One of these places was Kakuma refugee Camp in Kenya, where I was before I came to New Zealand.

Race relation day was started through the Race Relations Commission. It happens every year in March in New Zealand. I have tried every means to be part of, not the celebration but the forum. From the Race Relation Commissioner to staff who work there, they didn’t give me the opportunity. Mostly this kind of forum involves conference or forum fee. This will help them to block people who they think are not desirable not to attend - “lower standard’’ people like me.

The cultural dance/ food /and other items for sale is good. Only the ethnic can be part of the political process. Where did you see the Pakeha becomes this process instead being entertained? Hajaib!!!

That is why I strengthened my lamentation with my pen expanding my collection of poems:

‘’Thank you, thank you!

For making me

Feel unwanted

For my look

Appearance

DISGUSTED

Thank you

Thank you …..’’

Yilma Tafere Tasew

Thank you, thank you!

2010, Steel Roberts, New Zealand

Since then this is the only avenue for me to express myself. Since 2001, I was worker at the National Museum where I served as a car park attendant, until made redundant in 2009.

In my word “expired’’.

I remember the life-time president of ‘’ African Community’’ didn’t give me a chance to speak. In 2005 for ‘’ Refugee Day Celebration’’ I asked the organizers if I am able to read a poem and speak. I am told it is only music and dance.

I said thank you no!!!

I don’t think this year will be different. If it is, prove me wrong by allowing me to speak and read a poem. If not, shame on everyone who blocks people like me and others from speaking their mind.

Saturday 24th February, 2018, Wellington, New Zealand.



No comments: