Sunday, March 25, 2018

What Is To Be Done No. 26: YOU DON'T



 March 21, 2018
What Is To Be Done
No. 26






YOU DON’T



 “You can't hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree. You can't hate Africa and not hate yourself”


Malcolm X


“The drums of Africa still beat in my heart. They will not let me rest while there is a single Negro boy or girl without a chance to prove his [or her] worth”


Mary McLeod Bethune



 YOU DON’T        


Today walking in the streets of Wellington, a young lady of African Origin coming from the opposite direction, we looked at each other. I said ‘hi’ she said, ‘do I know you?’. Then, ignoring her anger, I said ‘I am from Ethiopia’. Then she said she is from France, saying (as usual) she is late for work. We said to each other ‘nice to meet you’.
We became the scapegoats for every wrong that goes on in their country.
For me Mother Continent Africa will be more than enough to make us lead rich, peaceful, prosperous lives. When the West goes out of Africa, genuine children of Africa will go back to build our continent with our sisters and brothers who are suffering there already.
That is the time we can say to those who are ashamed of their identity, like the young lady of today, “you don’t know us’’. To the Western Asians and Middle Eastern Exploiters - we will see you in a few years’ time. When we can see you/us as equal partners trading goods and services in equal terms.





The above photo show 44 leaders of African countries after signing the “African Continental Free Trade” agreement in Kigali, Rwanda, 17-21 March 2018. This meeting was hosted by Paul Kagame, the life time President of Rwanda. Kagame washed his hands in the blood of Congolese, Burundian and Rwandan people. He is a human rights violator who tortured and murdered journalists and members of opposition groups. Most of these leaders are the ‘same grain in a different container’. After all, Africa doesn’t need free trade for the Continent at all. Africa needs unity towards Pan-Africanism. Africa needs ancestral land to be returned for the black farmers.
Africa needs freedom, democracy, people’s governance, self-rule in the gown of democracy which will fit the Continent harmoniously. Made and designed by her genuine children.
Recently I read and watched a video of Ethiopians protesting in Geneva, Switzerland. The umbilical cord of Global Mafia. The centre of charity business. The centre of global criminal banks.
Protests and lobbying are not the answer to our political problem. Unless we wanted the blessing of the UN, the West, and other rich countries. Like they “allowed” the current authoritarian regime to move into the palace in the 1990s. Please!!! My fellow sisters and brothers of Ethiopia, my homeland, don’t sell our country. With a deal, you can lobby at the corridors, toilets, drinks and hotels. Don’t sell our integrity. Where do we see other sister/brothers of black Africa doing as we do in this global mafia’s area?
 I went to my favourite book shop, Unity Books in Wellington, to attend a book launch. One girl from the guests came to me gave me a hug, which is a cheer for my lonely depressing life. I recognized her - she was participating with me at Wellington and Aotearoa Peace+ Movements in the early 2000s after 9/11. She asked me if am currently active with peace movements. I said ‘no, I don’t want to cry for others’ wounds unless we cry for all the wounds, including mine’’. She was expecting elaboration. I kept quiet, turning our attention to the book launch ceremony
Protest and activism has become racist. Even those young activists took activism as a fashion, after a while changing their direction. Some of them to charity business - that is where the money flows like water. Which will take them to “adventure’’ freely without much expense. The good salary pays student loan quickly, buys a house, while having “fun” overseas. I am not against this but no one commits to the struggle for human justice - to alleviate human suffering.


Please! Click the link below to see what the fundraising song and dance is all about.
Yilma Tafere Tasew,
Wellington, New Zealand

No comments: